How many times have you relished the crispy chicken strips at your favorite KFC outlet? Quite a few times, isn’t it? Have you tried making these strips at home? If yes, some of you may have been disappointed seeing the soggy strips. Are you missing that crunch in those tender chicken strips? Well, you have come to the right place, in that case. Here, we will tell you how to make crispy chicken strips in different ways, right in your homes.
Sometimes, you may notice that you have fried the strips too much, while sometimes, the breading comes off the strips, making them soggy. Here is a disclaimer before we get to the article – if you have no experience cooking or frying anything at all, it will take you some time before you get to make KFC-style, finger-licking good and crispy chicken strips.
How to make crispy chicken strips – some important tips you should know
Before, we get to the recipe, here are some points you should know if you want to master the art of how to make crispy fried chicken strips. They are:
- You don’t have to use only the chicken wings or legs to make strips; you can make use of boneless chicken breasts as well, as they make for good and tasty strips.
- Never fry the chicken straight out of the fridge. Always pep the meat properly before you fry them to allow for even cooking.
- We recommend cooking the chicken with brine, before frying, if you want crispy exteriors and juicy interiors. However, soaking the chicken pieces in brine for about 2 hours before cooking is also a great idea to get the much-needed taste and crunchiness in the chicken strips or fingers.
- Using breading will help to retain the moisture inside the meat, thereby making the strips flavorful, crispy and moist at the same time. After pressing the breading on the chicken firmly, allow it to rest for 2 to 3 minutes, before you proceed to fry them.
- Use the right measurements of flavors in your flour is very important if you want to know how to make homemade chicken strips crispy.
How to make crispy chicken strips in a frying pan
What do you need?
- 2 pounds of chicken tenders (you can also use 2 boneless chicken breasts that have been sliced into thin pieces)
- 1 ½ cups of all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- Beaten egg – 1 (mix it with 2 tablespoons of water, so that the consistency is slightly thin)
- Oil for frying (you can use any oil of your choice)
What is the process?
- Pour oil into an iron skillet and heat it on medium flame. The oil should fill up to 2 inches of the skillet.
- Now, you can start preparing the chicken pieces for making crispy strips. Take a big bowl. Add the all-purpose flour, salt and pepper in it, and mix well until all ingredients blend well.
- Now, you have to add the wet ingredients to another bowl. Take a bowl and mix the beaten egg along with water in it.
- Take a slice of chicken and dip it into the flour mixture. Pat off the extra flour before you dip the slice into the egg mixture. Now, take the slice out and dip into the flour mixture again.
- Allow the slices to rest for about five minutes. (This way, the breading, or the flour coating sticks to the slices very well).
- Check the temperature of the oil now. If it is around 360 to 375 degrees F, the oil is ready for frying. You can add one slice of chicken into the oil now. If it sizzles well, you can add a few more. However, ensure that you don’t add too many, because the chicken pieces need space for frying well on both sides.
- Cook until both sides of the slices have turned golden brown.
- Place the slices on a paper towel for a few minutes, before you serve them hot.
Some modifications you can try in this method
If you wondered how to make crispy chicken strips in your homes, the above method would answer your doubts. However, you can also make slight changes to this recipe to tweak the strips to your preference. Here are some changes that you can try:
- To the dry mixture of flour, salt and pepper, you can also use ½ cup of bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- You can also mix mustard sauce or mayonnaise to the wet mixture of beaten eggs to give your chicken strips a nice flavor.
- Instead of water, you can also add milk, if you want the chicken strips to taste rich and nice.
- If you like your chicken strips nice and juicy on the inside, you can soak the chicken in a bowl containing a mixture of buttermilk and any hot sauce of your choice for half an hour, before dipping the slices in the bread and egg mixture.
How to make crispy chicken strips in the oven
When you are making chicken strips in the oven, you can cut the chicken into ½-inch pieces to place them easily on the oven rack for frying evenly. Here, you can use the same ingredients that we mentioned in the above technique. For the process, you can refer below:
- Mix the dry and wet mixtures separately in two bowls.
- Now dip the chicken slices first into the dry bowl, then the wet bowl, and finally the dry bowl. Allow the slices to rest for five minutes.
- Place an electric skillet or fryer in the oven with about 2 inches of oil and heat up to 350 degrees F.
- Place the chicken (few slices at a time) on the baking sheet that has been lined with paper towels for about 5 to 7 minutes. Check if the slices are golden brown on both sides before taking the slices out from the oven.
With these simple tips, you can easily learn how to make crispy chicken strips in your homes. You don’t have to go to KFC anymore, to taste that awesomely delicious finger-licking good chicken strips.