Bologna sausage is one of the popular dishes in many countries globally, especially America, Australia, and Africa.
Though bologna sausage is usually prepared from pork, it can also be made from venison, turkey, chicken, beef, or a blend of other forms of soy proteins.
Regardless of the meat you use, the key point is that you should grind it finely to prepare this dish. The dish is known as ring bologna because its shape is in the form of a ring or a semi-circle
Here, we will tell you how to make ring bologna sausage right in your homes, in the most authentic way.
How to Make Ring Bologna Sausage at Home
If you love ring bologna sausage, you can get them easily at most of the supermarkets. However, you can appreciate it more when you prepare it yourself at home.
In the following sections, we will talk about the following topics in detail:
- Ingredients you need
- Steps in preparing the meat
- Steps in stuffing the bologna
- Steps in cooking the bologna
Ingredients You Need
- Wheat Flour – ½ cup
- Ice Cold Water – about 12 ounces
- Beef and Pork Shoulder in the Ratio of 4:1 (lean meat preferable)
- Ground Coriander – 8 teaspoons
- Brown Sugar (powdered) – 6 teaspoons
- Edible Potassium Nitrate – about 1.5 teaspoons for curing the meat
- Garlic Powder – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Pepper (ground and powdered well) – 4 ½ teaspoons
- Sausage Casings of 40mm for Sealing
Steps in Preparing the Meat
If you wonder how to make ring bologna sausage, here comes the next step of preparing the meat for the same.
Here are the steps you need to follow for this:
1. Cut the meat portions into small 2-inch cubes and refrigerate them before you grind them.
2. Once the meat is cold enough, you should grind it well in your meat grinder using the blade’s right dimension.
3. After the meat has been ground well, take everything out in a bowl, and mix thoroughly so that there are no chunks of meat anywhere. The beef and pork mixture should have blended well in this stage.
4. In this mixture, you can add all the other items mentioned in the “Ingredients List” and mix well so that all the spices are infused well into the meat mixture.
5. Now, keep the mixture in the refrigerator and allow it to get cold. Once it gets cold enough, you should grind the meat again in your grinder, using the same blade you used earlier.
Steps in Stuffing the Bologna
Now that the meat is ready, it is now time to stuff the bologna properly.
Here are the steps involved in this process:
1. Connect one end of the sausage casing to a tube attached to a sausage stuffer.
2. Now tie the other end and keep stuffing the sausage into the casing using this tube.
3. Keep filling the casings until they are full. You will notice that the casings now have tight sausages in them. Cut the ends of the casings and tie them well.
Steps in Cooking the Bologna
You have done all the hard work in getting the meat and sausage ready. The only step left now is to cook them properly, so that you can enjoy restaurant-quality ring bologna sausages in your homes.
This is how you need to do it:
1. Put the stuffed bologna back in the refrigerator, while you set your smoker ready. Having a smoked flavor is a must to get the authentic taste. So, you need to set your smoker to a temperature of about 225 degrees F.
2. Once you get the desired temperature in your smoker, place the chilled bologna on it, and smoke for about an hour. Ensure that you check the smoker’s temperature regularly. It is important to maintain the level at 225 degrees F. After an hour you can stop smoking the bologna when the temperature has come to 155 degrees F.
3. Now take the smoked bologna and place it a put full of water. You need to cook the bologna in boiling water now. Let the meat boil until the temperature reaches 180 degrees F.
4. Once you see this temperature, it is time for you to remove the sausages and hang them for drying over wooden rods.
5. Once they are dry, you can store them in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. You can also put them in the freezer for increasing their shelf life.
6. Delicious and authentic ring bologna sausages are now ready!
Two Main Versions of Bologna Sausage
Though there are quite a few modified versions of bologna sausage available today, some of the most popular versions we will tell you about in this article are venison bologna sausage and pickled bologna sausage.
How to Make Venison Ring Bologna
The process for this is similar. The only difference is that you need to use venison instead of pork shoulder.
Please take care of the ratio here. When using pork, you should use only 1 part of pork for 4 parts of beef in the ring bologna sausages.
However, we recommend using equal parts of beef and venison if you want to know how to make ring bologna venison the best way in your home.
How to Make Pickled Ring Bologna
You need to soak the cooked ring bologna in vinegar and pickling spices for about 5 days before enjoying them in the pickled version.
For making the pickling spice, you can use these ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon each of peppercorns and crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon of mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon of crushed red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
Boil 1 cup of white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of this pickling spice in a huge bowl for about 5 minutes. Then, pour this mixture over the ring bologna sausages.
Allow the sausages to soak in the mixture for about 5 days in the refrigerator before you slice them and enjoy them to your heart’s content.
While we have given the basic version of how to make ring bologna sausage in your homes, you are always welcome to try out various customizations to suit your taste buds.
You can adjust the spice, or add more meat if you want, if you want to give a slight tweak to this recipe.
The key is to be patient and have an eye over the temperature settings to get the right flavor in your ring bologna sausages. After trying this, you will never buy ring bologna sausages from your grocery stores anymore.