Let’s go ahead and learn together how to grill a porterhouse steak at home. We are going to show you the exact steps to take today.
Cooking a round steak is all about choosing the right cut. This steak is usually a perfect choice because it lets you experience a ton of flavors in just one cut.
This piece of meat can be cooked in numerous ways: grilling, frying on the pan, and boiling, but grilling gives it the best taste by far.
It doesn’t really matter which cooking method you’re going with, we will provide the best recipes in this article.
How to Grill a Porterhouse Steak Using Your Tools at Home
• Make sure your steak is thawed fully and let it sit for some time so it can go down to room temperature.
• It’s always a good idea to cook your steak on a charcoal grill. Put stake cuts on the grill. Also, make sure that the part of the grill is scorching. Let each side sit on the grill for 2-3 minutes. The next step is also crucial. Move meat cuts in the central part of the grill so that it doesn’t overcook instantly. Cook each side for 10-12 minutes. However, if the steak is thinner than 1 inch, let it grill for 15 minutes (each side).
• Cooking on the gas grill requires almost the same cooking method. Put the steak on the preheated grill and let it sear on each side for two minutes. Then turn down the flames and continue grilling for 8-10 minutes. As already mentioned above, thick stakes require 5 more minutes to cook.
• Do you like your steak medium-rare? The steps are almost the same. Preheat the grill, place your meat on it and let it cook on each side for 13-15 minutes. This will bring out nice, juicy flavors from the steak. You should definitely use a meat thermometer and take out the steaks from the grill when the internal meat temperature reaches 130 Fahrenheit.
• Don’t serve cooked steaks right off the grill. You should let them rest for about 6-7 minutes. Nobody likes eating meat that is too hot, especially porterhouse because you will probably burn your mouth and not taste anything well enough.
How to Grill Porterhouse Steak at Home on the Oven
Follow below the steps that will show you how to grill a porterhouse steak perfectly.
• Thaw your steak completely.
• Let it sit so it gets down to room temperature.
• Preheat the oven for 8 minutes.
• Seasoning is completely up to you.
• Put steaks on the pan. The difference between steaks and the surface must be at least 5 inches. Cook for 15 minutes for medium-rare results.
• Check with the meat thermometer, the perfect temperature should be 135 Fahrenheit.
• Let your steaks sit for 7 minutes before you serve them.
• Resting meat is very critical because the cooking process and the heat make the juices pull to the surface. By letting it sit for 7-8 minutes, the juices will be distributed even and nicely.
How to Grill Porterhouse Steak on the Stove
The steps below will show you how to smoke a porterhouse steak on the stove.
• First, preheat the frying pan on the stove for about 5 minutes. Don’t forget to pour some oil before lighting up the flames.
• If your steak is already thawed and closer to room temperature, go ahead and gently put it on the pan. Be careful not to throw it in. You might get a bad skin burn.
• Let each side sit for about 12 minutes for a medium-rare steak. If you wish to cook longer, it’s completely up to you.
• After each side is cooked according to your taste, gently remove them from the pan and let them sit on a wooden board for at least 5 minutes. This time is enough for the juices to distribute evenly in all parts of the steak.
• Serve it with light seasoning (heavy seasoning if you didn’t apply any ingredients before cooking) and serve it to the table.
Sear Porterhouse Steak the Classic Way
• First, the oven should be preheated to 280 Fahrenheit.
• Apply some butter oil to the meat.
• Use the baking sheets and gently place seasoned stakes upon them.
• Make sure that steaks do not touch the surface of the oven directly.
• Let them “cook” for 4-5 minutes on each side before removing it from the oven.
• Let your steak sit for 2-3 minutes at least.
• Serve it with some seasonings you like.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have already covered this topic, please follow the steps above.
The steps are the same as the regular grill.
It’s the same as using a normal grill, once again. However, the temperature of the charcoal grill must be set at 245 Fahrenheit.
Depending on which cooking method you use, the time varies from 1.5 to 3 hours.
Yes, otherwise steak won’t cook but it will lose all of its tasty juices.
It all depends on what you like. For me, personally, I like to pour some black pepper on it and apply a little bit of BBQ sauce.
Grilling is by far the best option you have. Cooking this meat steak on the grill will make sure to maintain 100% of the juices with zero loss.
Yes, if you like your steak well-done.